This week at the dotnet group I discovered a sweet (pun intended) tool. Short for Chocolatey Nuget, Chocolatey allows you to download and install programs from a PowerShell command line. Anyone who’s toyed around with Ubuntu will recognize that it’s very similar to apt-get.
Writing a Windows PowerShell Script takes a lot of pain out of reformatting your machine. I love the feeling of a fresh windows install, but that feeling fades quickly as I realize I’m going to have to spend the next four hours downloading and babysitting program installs. With Chocolatey I was able to put together a script to get all of my must have development (and a few other) utilities. I was able to go watch a movie and come back to a windows 8 start menu full of programs. I’ve also run the script on windows seven which was smooth except having to CTRL+C the firefox install (everything still installed fine).
If your interested in taking a look at my script, you can download it here. I’ve commented out everything that isn’t free. I also commented out Paint.net in favor of Gimp, since I only require one photo editing application.
You will have to allow powershell to run scripts, as it’s disabled by default for security reasons. You can do this by running the following command:
Steps to get started:
- Type ‘PowerShell’ in the run menu, this should bring up windows PowerShell. Right click on it and click ‘Run as Administrator’
- Enter ‘set-executionpolicy Unrestricted’ and take a Y on the confirmation
- Save the PowerShell script above and modify based on preference. IE may download it as a text file, make sure it has a ps1 extension
- Enter the path to the PowerShell script
- Make a sandwich
- Watch Chocolatey magically install your programs
- When completed Change the execution back using ‘set-executionpolicy Restricted’ so you don’t get haxored.
Here is a list of programs I included in my script, let me know if I’m missing any dev or general user essentials.
- Google Chrome
- Office 365 ($) -or- LibreOffice (free)
- Libra Office
- Sumatra PDF -or – FoxitReader
- Microsoft Web Platform Installer
- Visual Studio 2012
- Fiddler -or- Wireshark
- PHP Storm ($)
- Process Explorer
- Dropbox -or- Google Drive -or- SkyDrive
- Oracle Virtualbox
- Microsoft SQL Server Express
- MySQL Community Server
- MySQL Workbench
- Toad Mysql
- Gimp -or- Paint.net
- Steam (Even the best devs need breaks)